Sunday 6 July 2014

Fordham's Milk Bar @ Camberwell

Fordham's Milk Bar
Sorry for the lack of update, was busy and got a new phone that's not very photo update friendly, meant to update this months ago...

Milk bars are always interesting for me.
They always have that mysterious feel to it with that old retro deco and the usually wooden looking shop keeper with all those contrasting colourful confectioneries and lollies in jars and cheap toys which usually make people wonder who on earth would actually buy them, nonetheless still manage to open for years and remains a popular spot for school kids. However, I do remember getting a cap gun with 20 pack red caps which i never ended up finishing and a packet of water bombs from a milk bar when I was in primary school...or perhaps in high school...but definitely not when i was at uni, dont think I have even been inside one since Year 10 or something....so it is very much a childhood memory.

Yet Fordham's Milk Bar on Fordham Aveunge (dah...) is more than a milk bar, whom offers much more than those horrible sandwiches and old potatoes cakes that you get from most corner shops. They have brilliantly convert an old retro milk bar into a cafe, which the original idea of milk bars did provides some sort of fast/hot food to offer a non-alcohlic alternative to pub, hence the name milk "bar" (yeah learn that from wikipedia)
 It is a bit of an oxymoron: it is a  publicly located hidden treasure: Walkable distance from the tram line (I have proven it is walkable since I walked from the tram) and located right opposite of Hartwell station, yet most people wouldn't know about this place unless you are a local.

 





It is a conveniently located cafe in a small little suburb. At the time I arrived, the outside sitting is full of locals whom appears to be afternoon joggers, old couples and people who finished work early (i.e: me)




 The guys are very friendly, smiling when I was outside, greeted when I got in and general small chat when I ordered and brought me my forgotten sunnies just before I left.

As the kitchen was closing at the time I was in, around 3:30ish, I could only order the food from display shelf, where there was bacon and eggs roll and chicken schnitzel wraps, etc which I ordered a sausage roll.

The sausage roll is great, where the the texture of the meat inside is actually like a sausage where it is not those soft mince meat mix. 

Again another iced latte, but they let you mix it yourself. As you can see from the photo


An old milk bar transformed into a popular local cafe with nice coffee and food, but still sell lollies, soft drinks and milk and oh, yes...you can top up your Myki here too.




Fordham's Milk Bar

116 Fordham Ave  Camberwell 3124
Telephone  
03 9041 0822


Fordham's Milk Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment